Philanthropy in Action
2020 Rapid Response Funding
In March 2020, at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, only 7% of child care centers and 29% of day care homes in Alabama were open and operating. In response, The Women’s Fund launched our Rapid Operating and Relief (ROAR) for Women Fund. ROAR for Women allowed us to raise funds and deploy targeted grants to child care centers serving children of essential employees in areas of greatest needs throughout our state.
In 2020, The Women’s Fund proudly awarded ROAR for Women Funds totaling $195,012 to 31 child care centers across the state. One hundred percent remain open today.
ROAR-funded centers served:
- 1,308 children
- 353 essential worker parents
- 239 child care staff
ROAR-funded centers included:
- 97% woman-owned businesses
- 9 of 31 child care centers in low-to-moderate income areas
- 12 of 31 child care centers are led by a woman of color
- 14 grants to child care centers, 17 to home providers